Sunday, July 27, 2008

REST, SILENCE and SABBATH

I am discovering how difficult it can be to truly REST. The nature of this society, combined with the busyness of my work, the constant needs of the folk I work with and the endless sea of suffering that floods my cell phone and my wanderings. (i received two phone calls last night: 10.30pm and 4.39am). REST is a sacred commodity! Establishing the Sabbath for our family is a MUST!



This a ramble to Discover, as I seek the Lord's purpose and as I pray over this NEED! This is a Prayer! This is me seeking an Island of relief, renewal, reflection and relaxation amongst the waves of the endless sea! 24 hours of living in the grace, hope and love of the LORD.

The quest is to be FREE in this pursuit. As I have already mentioned, I cannot be governed by the laws of legalism.


The Lord has gifted me, throughout the years, with three significant reminders that keep me focused on HIM amongst life's turmoil, self-imposed demands and busy schedules: 14 years ago at BCNZ the explanation of the verse: "Be Still and Know that I am God" and I recently read a little book by NT Wright about the Lord's Prayer and some recent studying of the Book of Revelation.



It's all about letting God be God, and me being me. About knowing, I cannot change people, and sometimes my best efforts are another person's grief, and my mistakes and weaknesses can result in another person's growth and sanctification! Pride is an ugly monster. "The Politics of God and The Politics of Man" by Jacques Ellul explains this mystery.

My first Sabbath quest is to pursue the Gift of Silence. A healthy rhythm of life involves the art of resting and ceasing. We need times of being Still! To Pray! To Reflect! But why? So that we can be renewed.

God must be with us in the Silence - otherwise it is a pointless exercise. It is a time to be embraced by the God who welcomes us. It is a time to shut off the human voices (first and foremost my own) and being able hear from the God who comforts.

The protestant work ethic captures and alienates many of us, yet values all work as sacred, but the Bible also vigorously promotes rest and celebration with work, to define the rhythm of life. Ellul points out that "the sabbath is a gift of God to remind us that we are not constantly under the burden of ....... toil."

As I endeavour to fight the powers of self promotion and self worth through my own doing, the Power of Lord is seen through His REST and His SABBATH and thus realizing that He is in control and I dwell in His Kingdom.

No comments: